TRANSGENDER EQUALITY– UGANDA(TEU)
TEU has the following vision: Addressing the neglected human rights of Trans-women in Uganda. Mission: Engage in activities that promote awareness about TW as well as addressing their human rights.
Goal: To make TEU a safe space for trans-women.
1. Ensure registration of TEU and establish an organisation of TWs.
2. Mobilise TWs of Uganda into action groups.
3. Engage Government of Uganda, Religious and Traditional Leaders in addressing TWs.
TRANSWOMEN are affected due vulnerability, are attacked by men/women, are faced with eviction from Villages (case of Beyonce, in 2011), risk of exposure to infections and neglect (case of a TRANSWOMEN in Kabalagala who died in 2010 after being left without care in his house). TRANSEQ-UG has come in timely to address issues and contribute to Uganda’s response to TRANSWOMEN issues.
1. Establish TRWOBU as an NGO addressing TW issues in Uganda BY 2012.
2. Identify and design plans for reaching out to all beneficiaries.
3. Work with grass-root based beneficiaries in designing organisation development activities.
4. Design HIV/STIs programmes and tools to address the problems identified.
5. Provide documentation on abuses faced by TWs.
6. Engage Ugandan communities in dialogue and addressing TW issues.
- Provide support towards registration.
- Provide facilitation for rent of office space and remuneration of 8 staffs
- Carry out reach out to TWs in Uganda.
- Establish a resource/Drop-in Center
- Conduct safe space activities: counselling TWs and providing support meetings as a form of self esteem building.
The TW story in Uganda is commonly talking about: corrective rape, neglect, eviction from homes, community assault and lack of structures for reporting abuses against TWs.
TW women in Uganda are increasingly facing media attention and as a result the society is increasingly aware of TW issues. TEU will be in a position to bring to the fore issues of TWs.
The following will be the achievements:
- A process for development of a TW organisation in Uganda.
- Designing activities targeting TW.
- To generate issues of TW.
- To engage Policy and Programme level stakeholders in addressing TW issues.
- Integrate anti-violence issues to address TW needs.